SP18 - Recorrido por Extremadura

Not long now.

Airlines & Luggage

With budget airlines charging almost as much for a case to go in the hold as they do for a human to occupy a seat on the plane I followed the advice of a well known travel writer.

The advice? Book hand luggage only first of all as the baggage price is at its highest at this point. As the flight date gets nearer this price tends to drop and although still an "extra" it can save a lot of money.

So that's what I did. Will it work? Will it buggery.

With less than a week to go I logged into "manage bookings" on the outward leg of the journey. The flight is operated by Iberia the Spanish national carrier. I can add a bag for €15. Very reasonable.

Before booking I logged into the "manage booking" page of British Airways for the return leg. The flight is actually operated by their partner. Iberia!

Loads of information about additional baggage but no "add a case" button shows up. Unlike many big companies there's no online-chat facility.

In the flight details page I can reserve seats, free (another odd thing!) and so I do, but I can't add a bag for the hold. BA have a disclaimer that I have to agree to them sending this request to Iberia. I do. It gives me the BA booking ref and one for Iberia.

And as they are different. I try Iberia with the booking ref from the BA page. Doesn't exist.

Decide to messenger Iberia with my question about baggage and the booking references. They say that although I can book a case with them in advance now for the flight out, I have to wait for check-in on the return flight to come back with it!

A gamble huh?

Car Hire

The area we are going to is stuffed full of Roman sites/sights but the buggers went and built a massive aqueduct in what is now Portugal. Back then they didn't have such a problem. I had planned to go and have a look as we will be a mere 10 miles away, but sadly, the insurance on the hire car only covers it for use in Spain! Darnit.

Hotel change

Before checking the hire car situation I had booked a nice hotel in Elvas in Portugal. It is in a bit of a two horse town but has the aqueduct right outside!

So we are back to having a hotel in Badajoz. But not the original one as that is now fully booked. I have booked another one that looks to be next door.

This is as close as we are going to get to the aqueduct. Thanks Google.

Elvas Aqueduct

Comments