Day 13 - Back North

First stop after checking out of the Blue Marlin was the Harley shop. I don't usually buy HD t-shirts but seeing as we are in the US....

The sale rack didn't have my size!  In the US I am only XL but they had large and the bigger lad sizes going up to 5XL. 

I had to let Claire go in as I was in the car and it was a no stopping zone. Circling around  the block was opportune as the block was by the famous Sloppy Joe's. Quick photo.


I have loads of black t-shirts and now have a yellow one too!!!  I'll model it later.

Getting out of Key West took some time as they seem to be road working all over town and in patches the length of the Overseas Highway.

We stopped to drop some tailgaters. It works for Lewis Hamilton so why not me?

The old Flagler railroad is alongside the road in a long metal bridge.




Our next stop of the day was at Sunset Grille on Pigeon Key.  As it was only about 1130 we wanted a coffee but lunch is early here and so we had an appetiser each. I had calamari and curry sauce and Claire had a crab dip with crackers. Plus refillable coffee. All really nice. 


Up to that point we had had the top down but we were driving into the sun and it was low 90's. 

We decided to put the lid up on the run up the rest of the way to benefit from the air-con. 

As a visitor to Florida, I tend to think the posted limit might be a good idea. I want my holiday to end when I drop the car off in the rental station and not after getting nicked for speeding.

The locals however seem to think that tailgating is the best way to drive... Time and time again I have had a cling-on stuck on my arse. Sometimes too close to make any turns for fear that they will be joining you....

So a few miles later I turned off to look at the sea.  Indian Key.


We had a walk about and Claire managed a little paddle.




It was lucky we had the top up as the sky got greyer and greyer and huge puddles started to appear on the sided of the road, then by Islamadora it started to rain.

And it rained on and off back to Weston.

Once on the mainland again at Florida City there are thre choices; the toll Turnpike, US1 or State Route 997!

997 is 35 miles of the most boring road in the world. Once the Spanish market gardens and nurseries are left behind way south of US41 it is mind numbingly straight and nothing to see but dead trees sticking up like burned matches.


So joining US27 is a relief. Even if Soccer Mom in her Honda people carrier tried to boot it and undertake me. No respect!

And then to Weston.

Comments

  1. I don't think it matters where you are in the USA, people seem to want to tailgate. Not sure where they are all rushing too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment