FL17 - Day 5 - Kennedy

Today we had advanced purchase tickets for the Space Center at Cape Canaveral. We were away from Silver Lake bright and early.

First problem was of my own making. Seeing what I thought was the left turn lane free I 2went into it and then realised I was in the oncoming traffic lane. Doh! I pushed into the front of the column of traffic. Lots of apologetic waving ensued. The Texas plates might have made them think I was just some dumbass.

Once on Irlo Bronson we headed to I4. As usual despite it being another grey day the exits to Disneyland were heavy. We were all set for a non toll run to Kennedy. Mistake.

The route was I4 then SR50 all the way to Titusville. It's only about 50 miles but it took ages. Not much traffic but loads of traffic lights. Orlando seems to extend for miles and miles. There is a brief bit of country before Titusville appears. Then follow the signs.

Parking was easy. Not too far from the entrance. Part of the parking was flooded...

We checked on the bus tour times and then had coffee. Whilst we were there a squirrel came up and cheekily held out a paw for some muffin. 

We decided to take the bus tour and then do the complex. The bus takes you to the 39 A and B pads used by the Shuttle flights. Now 39B has a rocket on the pad for a company, SpaceX, ready to launch on Saturday. So we couldn't go over there.

Part way around you are dropped off at the Apollo Saturn V hall. Inside the massive structure is a reconditioned Saturn V. It's not as big as I had imagined. The pictures below (our of order for some reason) will show some of it.

From here we boarded another bus for the return. The best in my opinion is to come. Atlantis.

A movie about how the Shuttle came about. As it ends you can see the nose of Atlantis but have no idea that the back curtain has raised and that this is the real thing not part of the movie. Fantastic.

The ship is much smaller than I had imagined it to be. How the crew have any space is a wonder in itself.

And that for us was it. Amazingly we had been there for the better part of five hours. My dodgy arthritis dogged toe was killing me.

For the return I switched off the "avoid tolls" option. It brought us along US528 and several detours to toll plazas and $4.75 later we were back towards I4.

TomTom decided to take us along the Osceola Parkway rather than Irlo Bronson. All seemed okay until we arrived at Disney World's entrance. If only we had had a camera ready to photograph the Mouse welcoming us. The girl at the booth showed us the escape route. Somewhere we had missed at left lane as the escape lane took us east again on Osceola. All ended okay.

A trip to Publix solved dinner and breakfast for tomorrow. Tomorrow, Wednesday will be a rest day.

Despite not that much driving I was dog tired. The traffic is way heavier than previous trips to both Florida and Arizona.

At home overtaking is only done on the driver's side of the car. Here on both sides. I thought lane discipline was better at home. Here people drive in any lane at any speed. Disconcerting to catch up with a car doing 40 in the (to us) overtaking lane or left lane. 

You need all your wits about you.









Atlantis

Comments