RT20 - Part Three

A change of plan. I have added a second night in the Albergo in Como. It had to be done. 

According to the font of all knowledge, Google, there is much to see in and around Como. 

It will give us a chance to take in the lakeside town and maybe even a boat trip. The lake seems to have an abundance of  ferries that criss-cross it.

And it has a funicular! Oo-er missus!

It was a bit of a palaver as through the booking assistant on booking.com it wouldn't let me change dates. Instead I had to book a room for two nights and then cancel the one night stay! Hopefully the hotel will have picked up on my request for a reserved and free parking space...

From Como the plan will be to head home. It's about 800 miles!

Switzerland lies directly in the way.

The Swiss have an extremely expensive vignette scheme for anyone using their highways of 40CHF for the year. 

There's no discount for when you buy it. Whether on January 1st or 31st December it's 40 francs. Unlike Austria they don't do shorter term tickets at a lower cost.

I had a quick look on Google Maps but couldn't get it to map a non-tolls route through the country. 

Instead it left Como, eastwards and through Liechtenstein and into Germany. No wheels touching Swiss territory.  

A bit of Googling showed that Here Maps has a seasonal closures disable option.

I clicked to that mapping in MyRouteApp and it worked a bit. I ended up making a route with several waypoints along the S2 road that cuts up over the Gotthard Pass.  I have an overnight in Southern Germany booked.


Comments