Staycation 2021 - Norfolk Day 4

Up and out at 10am. It's cloudy today with a chance of rain early.

Today we have two destinations. Claire is meeting sister Sally to look at the gardens at Bressingham. Reggie not allowed in the garden.

There is also a garden centre where Reggie can go, and a Steam Railway 🚂 where he can't.

So the plan is to drop her off and head to a nearby fen and have a walk.

Stage one successful and we met up with Sally. Whilst there I took a photo of the big steam engine outside.

Before setting off I saw a train coming and had just started to video when Reggie went mad and barked at it. I lost grip on my phone and ended up juggling...



Stage two to find Redgrave and Lopham Fen. It's dog friendly.

Luckily it is signposted off the A1066 about two miles west of Bressingham.

Once parked and Reggie on the lead we checked the walks board. I chose the spider trail. It's only 2kms but with iffy looking clouds that looked enough.

We had gone less than half a mile when we came across evidence of cows. A lot of evidence laid like land mines all over the paths.

In fact they were bullocks. A group of around a dozen were ahead. Mostly ignoring us but Reggie was reticent. One of the bullocks followed us. When I stopped it stopped until after about 50 yards it gave up.

Of the famous raft spider 🕷️ we saw nowt.

We did see a small brown deer. When I say we I mean me. Reggie spending his time sniffing the undergrowth.

Maybe not the best wildlife photography...

We had a few stops for Reggie to have a drink. Then as we neared the visitor centre I saw the Lopham Loop, a 500m loop. 

It was only as I saw the "land mines" that I realised we had joined the Spider Trail. Luckily no bullocks!

Then it began to rain. Back at the car, despite marked spaces, some  🤡 had parked so close I couldn't open the back door to get Reggie into his seat and harness.

Eventually we arrived back as Bressingham about 1220.

We had lunch and there are four tables, effectively in the entrance hall to the
garden centre, where dogs are allowed. We had a table and lunch.

Whilst they went have a look around I went and put Reggie in the car for a rest, and went to watch the little steam train.

This time I managed a video.



Once we said our goodbyes we headed towards Diss and Wymondham, stopping at Waitrose to shop for dinner tonight and tomorrow. Also picked up some beer and cider.

Tomorrow? Rain forecast.

Maybe a "local" day.

Comments