AZ - More planning

Although it was a nice day at home and after the decking had been jet washed it was too late to get the Rocket out. Autumn has started to arrive and it seems we bypassed summer.

Some people may think that planning too much too soon spoils the spontaneity of the trip.  But I like to get a few plans under my belt in good time. It saves missing out on the things you want to see and do.  Been there and done that but was too late to get the t-shirt!

Today's research was concerning the six nights after the timeshare. We want to go to the Grand Canyon. Anyone going to Arizona and not looking into the abyss has to be a bit strange.  

Then I saw on my brother's blog that he has booked into the Wigwam Motel #6 on R66 in Holbrook.

So that fired a bit of imagination. I read up about it on the web inc Tripadvisor. Currently it looks as though the diary for early June 2016 not yet open.

What is open and booking up fast is the Grand Canyon Railway. This runs from Williams AZ to the south rim.

Williams Depot
With taxes and booking fees it comes out at about $150 a day. Not cheap but this trip is to celebrate my 60th birthday. Fingers crossed for steam.....




When you consider the eye watering prices the nearer the hole in the ground you get, it's cool.

Although back in the first post I said I wasn't too fussed about Route 66, quite a bit of the northern section of the trip will be around I40 and R66.

That leaves three more nights and a few miles of R66 to fit in and London Bridge.


Comments