FL91 - From the Archive

In those far off days before they invented the digital camera,  you may recall we had something called "film".

It came in a variety of sizes. 35mm and an assortment of cassette type systems made for the amateur  - 110 and 126 being the most popular.

Usually the films were taken to your local chemist (drug store for my North American cousins) or posted to Kodak or another company, such as Truprint or Bonusprint.

It also came back from the processor in an envelope containing the film itself,  the negative for prints,  and the prints themselves.

A week later the excitement built and unless you were the kind of guy that could get your pictures on the front of Time, then disappointment soon followed.

Another format was called "slides". These were positive images at 35mm in a card or plastic surround.  A whole industry built up around equipment to enable the photographer to bore the arse off their visitors with a "slide show" of their holiday pictures.... or "snaps" as they might also be called.

Oh the irony of it. Now we have Flickr and Photobucket amongst others where we can upload our digital photos.... and let's not forget blogging and the terminally awful vlogging.

So. Back to Florida 1991.

Why I opted to take a Kodak 110 film camera with me on this trip I have no idea.   I had a Zenit 35mm camera that was large and very heavy. The 110 fitted in a pocket. That's probably why I took it.

I was going through a box of photo envelopes and came across a couple marked "Florida 1991".

Oddly there are none from my trips to Key West and Sanibel/Captiva.  But there are some of the trip my host at Burger King, Carole, took to Orlando.

I tried to fit as many as possible on the scanner plate. At least I think these are in focus.

Refer to disappointment above.

Comments