SP18 - Recorrido por Extremadura

It's been a while since I updated this trip. Everything has been in place for quite a while and there was nothing much to do, apart from make sure the Advanced Passenger Information (API) was completed for both of us.

Then as I was looking through the folder in my Yahoo email I to check dates and make sure that my Tripit itinerary was up to date (it feeds into Google Calendar!) I noticed that although I had a few car hire emails, I hadn't booked any.

Car hire is always one of the biggest bugbears for me.  Flights are easy to book. They give you a price and you accept that and then check for the add-ons (rip offs?) such as baggage check and reserving a seat and you get a price.  

But with car hire.  There are so many "insurances".  Very annoying.  I ran through a few of the online booking agencies and there are quotes as low as €40/£35/$50 for a week's hire for a small car like a FIAT 500 "Cinquecento". This includes legal insurance cover.  Then you see the insurance excess is anything from €1000 to €1400 deposited on your credit card. The slightest chip and..... kerplunk.  

Most of these companies though offer a weekly rate for the same car at around €25/£22/€30 a day that includes all insurances and no insurance excess!

There are companies selling excess cover insurance for about €40/£35/$50 for year's cover in Europe only.

So what to do?  I am leaning towards the "easy life" of the no-excess rental. It's a gamble like anything to do with insurance but it would save that huge excess appearing on my VISA and me having to pay it whilst claiming on the excess cover insurance.

It's Spain after all.  Some of the towns and cities we are visiting are small with narrow streets.... jumbled parking lots.... etc....

Comments