US22 - Bucket List Dream

It is one I have had for a number of years.

To take the bike and tour in the US. Either Spring and early summer. April/May or May/June.

I retire in December 2021. The projected income looks okay. Without my fares getting to work now I'd be quite well off. 

The lump sum though is good enough for a few decent holidays but not to live the life of Riley.

My work and State pensions (projected) is less than my current gross salary but not paying national insurance and the accursed fortune to travel to work and pay to park means I might have more disposable income! Plus we will only have one car.  Mine will be worth nothing by then, but I'll save the £175 a year road tax and £200 insurance plus running costs.

So I dipped my toe in the water so to speak. I completed a form on James Cargo website. I was a bit vague as I have no idea of dates. 

So I put May 1st 2022 to June 30th 2022. I am aware that Claire needs to be onboard and that she wants a cruise to the Northern Lights as well when I retire.

If it was for a trip in 2020 the bike would cost £995 each way by air. Slightly cheaper to fly out and sea freight back. That's to New York out and LA back to UK. Other destinations are available.

To rent a Harley or BMW from one of the US rental companies would be around £125 a day plus insurance.

So anything over two or three weeks shipping my own bike would be cheaper. 

Then we have to factor in insurance for the bike and personal air fares. Although the latter and travel insurance would be necessary if we just flew as usual to Florida.

The shipping cost is by volume rather than weight.  So the Rocket would be the same as a more svelt bike.

It's over two years away. I might not have the Rocket. 

By then as a 66yo I might have something smaller and lighter. Maybe a small Honda 650 with panniers and top box?

I wonder if anyone has done it on a Suzuki Burgman?

Much to consider.

Comments